A problem with rtmpdump on a flakey internet connection

Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Sun Jul 13 12:41:23 PDT 2014

I've got a 60Mb/s Virgin cable connection which is great when it's working,
but has had a tendency recently to drop for a few seconds every so often. I
found rtmpdump frequently failing to pick up a download after a connection
has had a blip.

The documentation for rtmpdump itself suggests that it has a default timeout
of 120 seconds, but in the get_iplayer perl program (at least in v2.84 which
I use at the moment) there's a line which forces rtmpdump to use a 10 second
timeout instead.

I've changed the line in the perl program to give me a 90 second timeout,
which so far is working better for me.  A similar change might help some
other people.  I changed the line that says:

   push @{ $binopts->{rtmpdump} }, ( '--timeout', 10 );

to read:

   push @{ $binopts->{rtmpdump} }, ( '--timeout', 90 );

I don't know yet if there's any disadvantage to doing this.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.