Live radio

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 19:44:11 EDT 2013

On 25/09/2013 00:05, YellowYeti wrote:
> If $1=Radio 1, Radio 2 etc. then this seems to work at least some of the
> time ( maybe 1 in every 2 or 3 attempts )
> if $1= World Service then it never seems to work.

I can get it to work, but as for most live streams, when it works it can
take a long time to start streaming.  It's something of a crap shoot.

> In each case, get_iplayer appears to locate the correct stream, but the
> error message I get seems to indicate problems with the cache, hence the
> --flush option ( which I'm not convinced makes any difference )

--flush relates to get_iplayer programme cache, not mplayer cache, so
not applicable here.  You may see messages like "Cache not responding",
but mplayer can recover.

> I have a recollection that different channels were streamed at different
> bit-rates - could this be an issue? Do I need to change parameters
> dependent on the particular channel I want to listen to?

There is only one live stream for the World Service, so not much you can
do on that score.  For other national stations, you can try
--modes=flashaaclow if the standard quality stream isn't working.  For
standard quality streams, you may want to try a larger cache size (e.g.,
512 or 1024) for mplayer.