Error when starting get_iplayer (0xc0000142)

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 16:54:22 EDT 2013

On 12/07/2013 18:56, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer wrote:
> I think you need dinkpumpkin to tell you what the specific error code you're
> getting actually means.
>
> Do you back up your user data files?  Restoring those to a point when it all
> last worked might fix this.

That's a Windows system error that means a DLL couldn't be loaded, so I
kind of doubt it has anything to do with get_iplayer data files.  It
would seem perl never launches, so get_iplayer never gets as far as
accessing any data.

You've said that you could run a command prompt on the updated system,
so perl is the only other application that could be affected. But it's
worth confirming. On the updated system:

Open a regular command prompt (not the get_iplayer CLI prompt) then:

CD C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer

perl -v

It should blow up, but if perl is OK, it will print its version info.
But then if perl is OK, the problem becomes more perplexing.  The only
other variable in the equation is cmd.exe, but you wouldn't have been
able to open a command prompt if it was affected.

If perl is the application affected, my only suggestion is to get a free
utility called Dependency Walker to check for missing DLLs:

http://dependencywalker.com/depends22_x86.zip

Unzip and put all 3 files somewhere convenient.  Open depends.exe and
drag this file onto its window from Explorer:

C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\perl.exe

It will load perl.exe and check its DLL dependency tree. If there is a
missing dependency, it may show you an error popup when it loads
perl.exe.  If not, look at the list of DLL dependencies in the middle of
the DW screen.  Missing dependencies should be at the top of the list
and likely marked by "Error opening file".  perl.exe depends on a file
named perl516.dll (the guts of the perl interpreter), and it is a
dependency of perl516.dll that is most likely to be missing.  You may
also see some irrelevant missing DLLs, but report all the missing files
in the list.  Your system is buggered up somehow, so don't shy away from
doing this check because DW is a scary-looking programmer tool.  You
can't break anything with Dependency Walker.