File Naming

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 19:54:37 EDT 2013

On 09/07/2013 00:31, J K.Eason wrote:
>> You shouldn't need fatfilename just because there is whitespace in
>> a file name. The whitespace option works fine for me without it.
>> You may need/want fatfilename to eliminate other troublesome
>> characters.
>
> Radio programs appear to be ok, but here's a tv failure picked at random.
> It downloaded fine with fatfilename, but when I removed it from the
> options the filename of the intermediate xx.partial.flv was truncated to
> just a zero-length file called 'Arthur' (with no file extension).
>
> Matches:
> 60:     Arthur: Series 10 - 16. It Came from Beyond, CBBC,
> Animation,Children's,Entertainment & Comedy,TV, default

That only happens with --whitespace because of the colon (one of the
troublesome characters I referred to) in the name, not because of the
presence of white space.  The colon is the NTFS stream operator, so if
it isn't removed your download goes into the black hole of an alternate
data stream.  I presume you have whitespace set in your preferences, in
which case you'll always need --fatfilename to remove colons.