Using --force

get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net get_iplayer at i.lucanops.net
Thu Aug 1 13:29:03 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-01 at 17:59 +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer wrote:
> Then I realised that that implies that "-force" has been parsed as if it
> meant an "-fo" parameter with value "rce".  Or more likely that the parser
> for options starting with just a single hyphen 'stacks' them?  So it WAS a
> case of the leading "-f" of "-force" being treated as -f, then the rest
> being treated as "-orce" (meaning override the output dir to "rce")?

Yeah, unix-y programs do that sometimes, but Windows native stuff never
does. When coming to the world of FOSS things can be a bit odd if a
person is primed with Windows (or even DOS) paradigms.

Unix-y software often has short and long options, g_ip is one, and so
they do have to be entered correctly.

I think there are formal standards or rules with GNU tools or software,
and stuff with BSD heritage.

Nick