Radio Thumbnails

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 13:05:44 EDT 2012

On 25/09/2012 16:55, Paul Oldham wrote:
> Well, on this occasion I tried totem. I guess it just doesn't know how
> to decode images in M4A files (it can in MP3s, shrug). But that's not

FWIW, the M4A thumbnail appears in Totem on my Ubuntu 12.04 and Debian
squeeze systems.  It has worked for me for at least the last couple of
years (since Ubuntu 10.04), so no idea what might be wrong in your case,
unfortunately.

> But that's fine, if '--thumb' is the rune I need to retain the JPEG that
> solves my problem as what I normally do next is take the M4A and convert
> it to an MP3 using faad (as my phone MP3 player doesn't play M4As) and
> then insert a thumbnail using eyeD3 before putting the MP3 onto my
> phone. At the moment I've been putting a generic BBC Radio Four Extra
> thumbnail into the MP3 but now I can use the pukka thumbnail.

You can use --aactomp3 and let get_iplayer do the work for you.  If you
want full metadata and embedded thumbnail, you would also need to
install the MP3::Tag Perl module, which is used to tag MP3 files as
fully as M4A files.  The module is probably available via your package
manager, but it has different package names in different distros.

> BTW 'get_iplayer --help' doesn't seem to mention '--thumb' so perhaps
> the next time someone's passing that way ...

get_iplayer --longhelp