Radio Thumbnails

Paul Oldham paul at the-hug.org
Tue Sep 25 11:55:41 EDT 2012

On 25/09/12 15:43, dinkypumpkin wrote:

> On 25/09/2012 15:37, Paul Oldham wrote:
>> And the M4A file was there as expected, but no sign of the JPEG. I
>> wondered if get_iplayer had embedded it into the M4A file but the
>> software I've got which plays both MP3s and M4As and which does show
>> embedded JPEGs in MP3s if they're present showed no sign of any in the
>> M4A file.
>
> Yes, it is embedded and the JPEG file is deleted unless you specify
> --thumb.  Hard to even guess why it doesn't appear unless you tell us
> what software you use.

Well, on this occasion I tried totem. I guess it just doesn't know how
to decode images in M4A files (it can in MP3s, shrug). But that's not
important, for me at least, as totem is not the software I use to play
M4As, in fact I don't play M4As at all.

But that's fine, if '--thumb' is the rune I need to retain the JPEG that
solves my problem as what I normally do next is take the M4A and convert
it to an MP3 using faad (as my phone MP3 player doesn't play M4As) and
then insert a thumbnail using eyeD3 before putting the MP3 onto my
phone. At the moment I've been putting a generic BBC Radio Four Extra
thumbnail into the MP3 but now I can use the pukka thumbnail.

So thanks for the info. Problem solved.

BTW 'get_iplayer --help' doesn't seem to mention '--thumb' so perhaps
the next time someone's passing that way ...
--
Paul