Recent patches & proxy servers

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 11:34:34 EDT 2012

On 24/10/2012 02:42, John Crisp wrote:
> If I have the plugin enabled I get a URL as follows :
>
> Play (with VLC plugin enabled)
> http://my.server.net/general/cgi-bin/get_iplayer.cgi?ACTION=playlist&SEARCHFIELDS=pid&SEARCH=b01ngwqj&MODES=flashaachigh%2Cflashaacstd%2Cflashaudio%2Cflashhigh%2Cflashstd%2Cflashnormal%2Crealaudio%2Cflashaaclow&PROGTYPES=tv&OUTTYPE=out.flv&STREAMTYPE=&BITRATE=&VSIZE=&VFR=
>
> If I disable the plugin the URL becomes :
>
> http://my.server.net/general/cgi-bin/get_iplayer.cgi

I assume you mean the URL for the "Play" link.  If so, that doesn't
quite add up.  If that were really the URL, the playlist below wouldn't
be generated.

> The browser then tries to open / download a file named get_iplayer.cgi
> containing the following :

You can give it a slightly nicer name by using a ScriptAlias directive
for get_iplayer.cgi

> #EXTM3U
>
> #EXTINF:-1,tv -  - 12 Again: Series 2 - Episode 6 - The Scissor Sisters
> reveal what they were like at 12.
> http://my.server.net:80/general/cgi-bin/get_iplayer.cgi?ACTION=stream&PROGTYPES=tv&PID=b01myl0t&MODES=flashaachigh%2Cflashaacstd%2Cflashaudio%2Cflashhigh%2Cflashstd%2Cflashnormal%2Crealaudio%2Cflashaaclow&OUTTYPE=b01myl0t.flv&STREAMTYPE=&BITRATE=&VSIZE=&VFR=

The "Play" links are supposed to produce those M3U playlists.  Did you
try to load the playlist in VLC and play the stream?  If not, do so and
watch what appears in the Apache logs.  There may errors from ffmpeg, etc.

> I have added the proxy url to the options file both in the default
> directory specified in the Apache conf file and in
> /etc/get_iplayer/options but I can't see this is being used by get_iplayer
>
> I put a logger line in get_iplayer at about line 348 and it would appear
> the following are set :
>
> $profile_dir : /path/to my/.get_iplayer
> $optfile_system : /etc/get_iplayer/options
>
> But I have a feeling that the proxy server is not enabled for streaming
> play.

I think the proxy issue is a red herring.  The HTTP proxy isn't used for
streaming.  Plus, there is no guarantee that you will get access to
streams from outside the UK.  At least one of the BBC CDNs is
geo-locked, so specifying an HTTP proxy for get_iplayer doesn't make any
difference.  It's not HTTP access that is being denied. I note your
email address is from the UK, so if you're not actually trying to access
iPlayer from outside the UK, then don't use a proxy at all.