The 'arse that Jack Built

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 10:07:43 EDT 2012

On 02/11/2012 13:15, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> Another "never-fail" method is to go to the BBC News Channel Schedules
> page:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcnews/programmes/schedules
> and from there find your way through the calendar on the right to the
> broadcast day of choice
> (this method can also be applied for radio programmes, too!)
>
> Once the pid is retrieved:
> get_iplayer --type=tv -i --pid=b01czcnh --modes=flashvhigh --force -w
> --file-prefix="Click 25 02 2012[b01czcnh]"

I think I'll add this capability to the web pvr when I get a chance,
i.e., enable you to enter a PID as well as a URL.

> WARNING: Please download and run latest installer or install the
> XML::Simple per

As the message says, if you update with the latest installer, the
embedded Perl will be updated to 5.12 and XML::Simple and its
dependencies will be available.

> However, I have Strawberry Perl Portable x86 installed on an external HD
> & used it to
> fetch the XML::Simple perl module... then copied the "XML" folder
> generated to the
> "C:\Program Files\get_iplayer\lib" folder; but then get_iplayer failed
> miserably with a series
> of compilation errors! Anyhow, the warning can be easily ignored! (any
> idea why it is printed
> in the first place?)

You probably ran into one or both of these problems:

1. The version of Perl installed with your get_iplayer version doesn't
have XML parsers included.   XML::Simple needs a parser.  The available
parsers have native code components (DLLs), so it isn't enough to just
copy Perl modules into get_iplayer's lib directory.  Again, update
get_iplayer and you'll have this.

2. If you're doing it yourself, you need to be sure to install module
versions and dependencies that were current for Strawberry Perl 5.10
(the version of Perl embedded with your get_iplayer installation).  That
means you should be also be using Strawberry Perl 5.10.  XML::Simple was
updated recently after being dormant for many years, and latest version
may not work with the older version Strawberry Perl.