Get_iplayer on Raspberry Pi

Alex Eames alex at translatortips.com
Wed May 30 17:19:59 EDT 2012

On 29/05/2012 14:30, dinkypumpkin wrote:
>> I notice the raspberry pi doesn't cope with RTMP timeouts
>> as well as my UBUNTU box, which seems to
>> shrug them off and just keep retrying.
>> The Pi seems to hang at this point.
>> Is that likely due to the lower hardware spec?
>
> If rtmpdump is actually hanging, I'm not sure resource starvation
> would be the culprit.  rtmpdump isn't hugely resource-intensive on a
> desktop machine, but I can't say how much more it will impact a
> Raspberry PI. All I can suggest is to launch a HD download (or
> something else that will run for a while) with get_iplayer and then
> run "top" in another terminal window to see what rtmpdump is doing.

On an HD download, when it's working properly on the Raspberry Pi,
rtmpdump takes about 30-35% processor usage.

After ERROR:RTMP_Readpacket. failed to read RTMP packet header
when it times out it goes to 98% (Mem 1.3%)

and the process seems to hang at that point.

If no timeout occurs, it works well.