Understanding Future Schedule, Refresh Cache, Exclude Programmes

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 07:15:15 EDT 2012

On 26/03/2012 23:35, MrArtist wrote:
> get the programme based probably on the PID (I presume), so no matter
> which region the programme is specified from, they are all in essence
> the same programme (via the PID).

Exactly

> Maybe I'm doing it all wrong? I use the cache listings as my TV guide to
> see what's been on and then choose from to record/watch later.

Therein lies the problem.  The Web PVR Manager was only designed to be a
search tool.  Even the full list without any exclusions is really just a
search for everything on the iPlayer site.  It doesn't have a mode for
browsing, where permanent exclusion lists might be useful to winnow down
the listings.  I think the exclusion parameters were intended to refine
individual searches so that PVR runs will only download the exact
programmes of interest.

> I can however foresee a potential problem if I leave the program
> exclusions in. For instance, I record anything with "Doctor Who" in the
> title for my kids, but say one day the BBC make a programme called
> "Doctor Who's Weakest Link", then my programme exclusion list (which
> includes "Weakest Link") is going to reject that Doctor Who programme,
> or at least cause some feedback loop or other error?

This is the nub of the issue.  Searching and browsing are different
activities.  I suppose you could add additional programme/channel
exclusion lists to the Web PVR Manager that would only be used for
browsing, though that sounds a bit confusing on its face.  They would
have to be unique to the Web PVR Manager, though.  Even though it
basically just drives get_iplayer itself, such an option wouldn't make
sense for the command-line script.

A better solution might be to place all the permanent exclusions in your
options file, though I've never tested such a large list of exclusions.
  Settings in the options file will be respected by the Web PVR Manager
when searching *and* when running your PVR list, since both operations
just invoke the command-line script.  See my reply in your "Saved
filename format..." thread for information about using the options file.