Problem with one specific radio programme

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 08:29:38 EDT 2012

On 17/06/2012 19:14, Martin Edney wrote:
> If I don't specify an amode
> setting, it tries flashaudio1, eventually gives up (after several
> minutes), tries rtspaudio1 and returns "The system cannot find the path specified."  It then goes on to try wma1, and proceeds to download
> about 1/4 of the programme, but then  stops, after showing "INFO:
> Streaming thread has completed for file
> \downloads\/On_The_Wire_-_16_06_2012_p00t1fj4_default_part01.wma".

I second Sr. Guano's advice to update.   Beyond the improvements to
get_iplayer itself, you will update the version of rtmpdump it uses,
which might be part of your problem.  The version of rtmpdump supplied
with 2.79 is pretty old.

For anyone else who finds themselves with temporary rtmpdump downloading
problems, using the rtsp and wma modes won't be a very good fallback, as
the OP found.  Both have the disadvantage that they only stream in real
time, which defeats the purpose of downloading unless you *really* want
to wait for a particular programme.  get_iplayer handles the wma (read:
mms) streams with mplayer, which doesn't by itself resume a stream when
the connection is lost, so you can easily wind up with partial
recordings.  get_iplayer tries to handle the rtsp streams with VLC, and
I'm guessing that some glitch with VLC installation was the source of
the "The system cannot find the path specified." error.  Even if it did
work, you wouldn't necessarily find it useful.  When downloading TV
programmes via rtsp modes, VLC only gets the audio (the video format
isn't supported), so not much use.  When downloading AAC audio (national
radio) via rtspaac modes, the output files are unplayable by many media
players without further processing.  When downloading MP3 audio
(regional radio) via rtspaudio modes, the output file can usually be
made playable by changing the the file extension from .mp3 to .ts.  This
is because get_iplayer instructs VLC to mux the audio stream into a MPEG
TS (Transport Stream) container but doesn't name the file accordingly
(same thing with AAC audio).  Not really meant for audio.  The rtsp
modes are a vestigial remnant that should probably be sent for the chop
or radically revised.  They haven't worked properly in at least 2 years,
perhaps longer.  If anyone has suggestions on how that situation may be
improved, chime in.