Problems on a fedora box?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 20:50:35 EDT 2012

On 27/07/2012 23:21, Mex wrote:
> get_iplayer v2.79, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
>    This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use
> --warranty.
>    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
> certain
>    conditions; use --conditions for details.
>
> WARNING: Running the updater again to obtain plugins.
> ERROR: get_iplayer is not writable - aborting update (maybe a package
> manager was used to install get_iplayer?)
>
> Even when I try to run as root. How do I fix this?

It's trying to download plugins on first run after a fresh install.
Unfortunately, version 2.79 had a bug that prevented self-update from
working.  You should be able to update to version 2.80 via package
manager for Fedora 15/16/17 from the rpmfusion.org repos.  It's not the
latest version, but it should enable you to get past the warning and run
get_iplayer.