Recording 'archived' items on iplayer site

Alastair ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 18:21:36 EDT 2012

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 23:10:42 +0200 James Cook wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 23:00:42 +0100, you wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>Funny that - I tried this earlier today. This page for the archive.
>>http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl
>>Yields the PID - b006qykl
>> get_iplayer --pid=b006qykl --type=radio --pid-recursive
>>has a go at downloading the archive. I've not let it run as somewhere
>>in the get_iplayer doc it says don't download whole archives.
>>In that spirit what I did do was download 100 shows I most wanted to
>>listen to with some hackery, including a 70 Second pause between
>>downloads.
>>
>>Kevin
>>
>Yes, the docs do say something like that.
>
>In the days before the In Our Time archive was completely "officially"
>online, and before getiplayer or iplayer,  I also "made a copy" of the
>old archive (see e.g.
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/inourtime_20041111.shtml
>)  - just because it wasn't really officially online.
>Nowadays there's no real reason to download the whole thing  ...
>
>The only remaiining anorak interest is the fact that AFAICT the
>iplayer archive is not complete.
>
>I'm not sure if some shows are still missing or incorrectly labelled
>(see discussion on the old BBC message boards) but some IOT iplayer
>programmes are only 30 mins long.
>SHOCK!
>
>JC

Hi James,
Thanks for copying me in here.  Having some trouble with my email so please forgive if it
comes to you directly.

RE the IOT archive do you know why BBC apparently stopped classifying the archives in
September last year?  Makes it even harder to find something from  the whole archive!
Alastair.