--fields option not working as expected

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 14:26:39 EST 2012

On 25/01/2012 18:08, Rob Dixon wrote:
> but if I use any other field that, according to the --info output,
> contains the string "Panorama" (such as descshort, nameshort, title
> etc.) no programmes are found.

--fields only searches against fields stored in the caches (e.g., in
$HOME/.get_iplayer/tv.cache for Linux types), which is a subset of what
you see with --info.  So the most useful fields to specify with --fields
are name, episode, and desc.  And of course, you can use --channel and
--category to constrain the results.

get_iplayer does some more slicing and dicing to produce all the other
fields you get with --info or --metadata, but it only does it if
necessary.  The search function (and thus processing of --fields) is
separate, and happens earlier in the run.