Accessing the BBC from outside the UK

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Thu Jan 5 17:57:08 EST 2012

On Thursday 05 January 2012 19:45:46 Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:

> > I had understood that get_iplayer was a way of getting round the BBC
> > embargo. But seems that I was completely wrong?
>
> get_iplayer in itself is not a tool for contravening license conditions.
>
> On a wider note, I am increasingly peturbed at the number of enquiries this
> list receives about this sort of thing.

Oh dear, I seem to have upset the apple-cart.

I can access BBC TV in Dublin (where I live)
on FreeSat and Saorview ("saor" = "free" in Irish)
as well as on Sky TV (which I subscribe to),
so it seemed to me logical that I might be able to access iplayer data,
without offending the legal sensitivities of our guardians.

I had read somewhere (I don't remember where) that get_iplayer
allowed people in Ireland to access BBC programs online.
Evidently I did not read carefully enough.

To be honest, I don't see the point of get_iplayer, at least for me,
since I can access and download those iplayer programs
available in Dublin on my browser,
which is a good deal easier to use than get_iplayer.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net