[OffTopic]Capturing an Audio Stream via a Sandbox (I think)

marshall marshall at brooklandsand.co.uk
Thu Dec 27 14:00:12 EST 2012

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 08:02:03 -0800 (PST)
Chris J Brady <chrisjbrady at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I want to capture an audio stream - actually from Radio Cape
> Kidnappers in NZ. It is only ever streamed live. There is no podcast.
> Unfortunately being 12 hours ahead of us in the UK the programmes go
> out at difficult times of the day for me to capture live.
>
> I would like to record the streams automatically via a sand-box
> service (I think that's the term). That is I would like to set up a
> service on a server somewhere that would capture the stream into a
> file and store this so that I can download it at a more convenient
> time.
>
> I can't use my own broadband service, on my computer, because all I
> have is a mobile dongle with a limited (and expensive) data service.
> Is there such a service? Or how can I do the above.
>
> Many thanks -
>
> Chris B.

Take a look through this old thread
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2011-September/002002.html

Basically
mplayer http://pebbles.wizzhosting.co.nz:80/rk -dumpstream -dumpfile
stream.aac
should do it, and schedule it to record with cron or at etc..
Most of the info you need is in the old thread, but if you need any
help, just shout.

Regards
Marshall