get_iplayer on imac

Roger Rabbit rr87654321 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 06:36:46 EDT 2012

I've used get_iplayer on the Mac for years, works better than on Windows
if you're comfortable with Unix scripting. Here's a dummie's guide to
install it:

First though you need to install XCode 4.3 or later from the Mac App
Store - it's free. Once installed you need to install its command line
tools:
http://holgr.com/blog/2012/02/xcode-4-3-and-homebrew-where-did-my-command-line-tools-go/

All the following is done in the Terminal command line:

(First install Homebrew, sorry no beer is involved!)
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(/usr/bin/curl -fksSL
https://raw.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/master/Library/Contributions/install_homebrew.rb)"

(Check the install)
brew doctor
(and follow any recommendations)

(Now install the packages)
brew install ffmpeg
brew install id3v2
brew install rtmpdump
brew install atomicparsley

(Install get_iplayer)
curl -O -L ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/get_iplayer/get_iplayer-2.80.tar.gz
tar xvfz get_iplayer-2.80.tar.gz -C /usr/local/bin/ --strip-components 1
get_iplayer-2.80/get_iplayer

Then just run get_iplayer as normal.

I've automated get_iplayer to automatically download and process
programs I'm watching out for, that goes directly into iTunes. They run
from crontab and are command line based, not GUI (if you're confortable
with Unix/Perl scripting). I can supply the scripts if you'd like them.

Regards
Roger