get_iplayer on imac

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 21:24:49 EDT 2012

On 28/04/2012 14:28, Patrick Byrne wrote:
> Thank you for that. I will try it out - but I would like to have the
> flexibility, if you have the mac-from-scratch steps I would really
> appreciate that.

OK, but I'm going to assume that you're not actually a dummy :}  The
basics are below.

DOWNLOAD

Download the latest get_iplayer tarball from:

ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/get_iplayer/

Unpack it wherever you like.  Copy the "get_iplayer" and
"get_iplayer.cgi" scripts to somewhere in PATH.

HELPER APPS

You'll need to build the helper applications for your system.  First,
select the source for your builds.  You have 3 choices:

Homebrew: http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/
MacPorts: http://www.macports.org/
Fink:     http://www.finkproject.org/

I strongly recommend Homebrew because it's more flexible and more
up-to-date, but I've listed the others in the interest of full
disclosure.  Before using any of them, you'll first need to install
Xcode (free from the App Store) and its command-line tools.  See the
Homebrew installation instructions.  The command-line tools can also be
downloaded separately from the Apple Developer site (free registration
required).  If you don't know whether or not you need Xcode, get it and
install the command-line tools from there.

Whatever the source, these are the packages to install:

Tagging:
atomicparsley (not in Fink?)
id3v2
Recording:
lame
mplayer
rtmpdump
ffmpeg

If you elect to use Homebrew, note that some of the above applications
won't build correctly with the default LLVM compiler, so employ the
"--use-clang" option to force compilation with the clang compiler
frontend, e.g.:

brew install --use-clang ffmpeg

Check the "brew" man page for the full set of options.  One day I'll get
around to creating that Homebrew formula for get_iplayer.

OPERATION

The command-line version works the same as elsewhere.  Just run the
"get_iplayer" script as normal from a terminal window.

You have to launch the web interface yourself - no menu shortcut as on
Windows.  Just run "get_iplayer.cgi --port 1935" from the command line,
then point your browser to http://127.0.0.1:1935.  You could of course
make some kind of script or Automator workflow for this.

ET CETERA

get_iplayer requires an optional Perl module (MP3::Tag) to do full
metadata tagging for MP3 files.  I you want to use it, you have to
install it yourself.  There are a number of ways to install Perl modules
for OSX.  I use cpanminus and local::lib to keep additional modules
under my home directory and separate from the system Perl, but you may
prefer something different.

http://search.cpan.org/~miyagawa/App-cpanminus-1.5011/lib/App/cpanminus.pm

http://search.cpan.org/dist/local-lib/lib/local/lib.pm

If you don't want to bother, id3v2 should suffice for MP3 tagging.

If you use iTunes, note that HD downloads from get_iplayer often won't
load into the iTunes library.  Apparently, this is due to Quicktime
limitations.  The solution is to run iTunes in 32-bit mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3771