Remuxing get_iplayer downloads to play on my TV

Steve Champion steve at stevechampion.com
Sun Apr 22 08:20:13 EDT 2012

My mistake, Jon. I was not paying attention

>> Thanks. Well, that did not yield something that my TV could play.

I was wrong. My TV _can_ play this file, but I had not given the file an avi
extension (duh!)

> Mmm.  ok. Try this then:
>
> ffmpeg -i programme.mp4 -vtag xvid -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec libmp3lame -sameq

This also plays fine, providing I give the file an .avi or .mov extension

Looking at the grid again (
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4679516/codecs-table.GIF ) , it is somewhat obvious
that if the program pays any attention to the file extension then the MPEG-4
variants that it can play are going to be AVI or MOV. Sorry for being a bit
dense.

Steve