Remuxing get_iplayer downloads to play on my TV

Steve Champion steve at stevechampion.com
Sun Apr 22 05:15:11 EDT 2012

> ...but in case it is useful I use the following to convert to mpg so that
> my dvd player
>  will play it.
>
> ffmpeg -i <filename> -target pal-dvd -acodec ac3_fixed <outfile>.mpg

Thanks, Colin. I am not convinced that the table I posted _does_ actually
pertain to my TV so I will resort to trying some other formats when I'm in a
massochistic mood. I should have never looked at the file size :-) Seeing
that the format my TV can play is nearly 3x the size of the file that
get_iplayer downloads set me off on a bit of an obsessive-compusive search.
Now, of course, I'd like quick conversion AND small file size.

But as somebody already pointed out... the correct solution would be to buy
a media player that can handle more formats than my cheapo TV. Playing the
files that get_iplayer downloads would be the right way to do it! Especially
as I'm having to put the programmes on a USB stick. I should probably
mention that I was just looking for a cheap TV and was pleasantly surprised
that it could play video from a USB stick. Not all cheap TVs can do that, as
I found when I tried to do the same with my sisters TV (which alarmingly,
has an Ethernet port and a USB port but does not seem to be able to do
anything very useful with them). But I'm wandering off topic...