Remuxing get_iplayer downloads to play on my TV

Steve Champion steve at stevechampion.com
Fri Apr 20 10:48:02 EDT 2012

>> From: "Andy Bircumshaw" <andy at networkned.co.uk>
>> Y'know, I think you're doing alright. You questions seem to indicate you
>> understand the difference between remuxing and transcoding, which is the
>> big divide, really.

Thanks. I like to try to understand it, but have realised that it is not a
bad thing to ask for some help. Much easier than trying to COMPLETELY
understan what is going on - which sometimes detracts from getting the task
at hand done :-)

>> I really like this explanation of codec vs. container:
>> http://html5.xoofoo.org/video.html

A good explanation, thanks

> 1) Based on this table, is there a format that my TV can play which
> requires only a remux (of what get_iplayer downloads) rather than a
> conversion?
>> I don't think so.

Okay. Saves me time looking!

>> I'm not sure if this table is up to date, but it'll give you an idea:
>> http://beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/IPlayer_TV
>> You might try the WMV versions, but I wouldn't bet on it.
>> The best encoding widely in use at the moment is h264. Your telly doesn't
>> support that.
>> I think the best quality formats that your telly supports are Xvid and
>> MPEG-4.

Well, the list could be wrong. I had to dig a lot on the suppliers web
site - and I'm not 100% sure it is accurate. So "trying things" might yield
results, but a bit tedious

>>I think best bet is to download with get_iplayer at the highest resolution
>>and then transcode a copy to watchable format.

I am inclined to agree. If it is going to take time to convert anyway...

>> iPlayer uses the "current standard" of h264, so you might consider buying
>> something like...

I bought an HD box for £30 that accesses iPlayer directly - so that makes
life pretty easy for the time period that stuff is kept up on iPlayer.
Unfortunately no PVR or USB option (it _WAS_ only £30) so I am relying on
the TV to play files saved with get_iplayer

Thanks!