Remuxing get_iplayer downloads to play on my TV

Steve Champion steve at stevechampion.com
Fri Apr 20 10:35:17 EDT 2012

BTW: TV is a Technika 23-231-BB-G

> ...is there a format that my TV can play which requires
> only a remux (of what get_iplayer downloads) rather than a conversion?

>>Unfortunately not.
>>The .mp4 files contain a video stream in avc format (now part of
>>mpeg4, but neither simple or advanced simple profile (SP/ASP)), and an
>>audio stream in aac format.

Well, that will save me a lot of time looking for something that is not
there! Thanks (but it's a shame :-)

> 2) If this is the case, what would be the ffmpeg command line to do the
> required remux? Given that, I could make a batch file to remux at will
> [that
> much I _could_ handle :-) ]

>>try this:
>>ffmpeg -i programme.mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec libmp3lame -sameq
>>programme.avi

Thanks. Well, that did not yield something that my TV could play. However, a
bit of poking around (ffmpeg -codecs and a lucky guess) allowed me to find
the following, which does yeld something my TV can play:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vcodec mpeg2video -acodec libmp3lame -sameq output.mpg

Rather a huge file (why?) but conversion said 120fps (I assume that is the
rate of processing: a factor of nearly 5x if I understand correctly) and
anything command line is better than messing about with Super-C. Just
downloading the latest version without picking up unwanted browser add-ons
is a real pain. And then there are the unexpected crashes.

>>you may also find the the "command" option in get_iplayer useful - it
>>runs a command (or script) at the end of a download, and you can pass
>>"<filename>" as a parameter which is expanded by get_iplayer as the
>>name of the media file it's just downloaded.

This I will definitely look into! It would be nice to have anything I
download converted right away. This can work from the web interface, right?

Thanks for all the help!!!

How I wish there was such a thing as a dual-port disk drive that appears as
a USB drive to my TV and simultaneously as an Ethernet drive (or USB drive)
to my PC