Remuxing get_iplayer downloads to play on my TV

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Fri Apr 20 09:24:29 EDT 2012

On 20 April 2012 12:56, Steve Champion <steve at stevechampion.com> wrote:
> ...is there a format that my TV can play which requires
> only a remux (of what get_iplayer downloads) rather than a conversion?

Unfortunately not.
The .mp4 files contain a video stream in avc format (now part of
mpeg4, but neither simple or advanced simple profile (SP/ASP)), and an
audio stream in aac format.

> 2) If this is the case, what would be the ffmpeg command line to do the
> required remux? Given that, I could make a batch file to remux at will [that
> much I _could_ handle :-)  ]

try this:

ffmpeg -i programme.mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec libmp3lame -sameq programme.avi

-vcodec mpeg4 -- converts the video to mpeg4 SP
-acodec libmp3lame -- converts the audio to mp3
-sameq -- this sort-of keeps the same quality as the source

you may also find the the "command" option in get_iplayer useful - it
runs a command (or script) at the end of a download, and you can pass
"<filename>" as a parameter which is expanded by get_iplayer as the
name of the media file it's just downloaded.

Cheers
Jon