Get info by pid

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:46:24 EDT 2012

On 06/04/2012 23:33, Charles Johnson wrote:
> I was wondering if it's possible to get info by pid? The following looks
> as if it should work, but doesn't:
>
> get_iplayer --info --pid f00bar01
>
> and actually it appears to attempt to retrieve the prog (!)

 From the Ministry of Brevity:

get_iplayer --info --fields pid b01c17z7

 From the Ministry of Pedantry:

The --info option works as part of a search.  The above is equivalent to
this command:

get_iplayer --info --fields pid --search b01c17z7

but --search is unnecessary if the search term is at the end of the
command line.  This command means "show me the extended info for the
programme with 'b01c17z7' in its 'pid' field in the cached index.  The
'pid' field isn't searched by default, so must be specified explicitly.

The slightly unfortunately named --pid option is not related to
searching.  As you've seen, it requires an argument, and it means "go
record the programme corresponding to that PID value".  The programme
may not necessarily be in the cached index if, for instance, it is a
web-only offering that isn't listed in the iPlayer archives for the
broadcast channels.