All downloads fail - SOLVED

Anthony Campbell ac at acampbell.org.uk
Fri Oct 21 16:07:41 EDT 2011

On 21 Oct 2011, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> On 21/10/2011 16:34, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >I have both of these. I reported the problem as a bug but the maintainer
> >said he couldn't reproduce it. I have a similar problem on another
> >machine, also running Sid.
>
> Your Debian bug report didn't offer any clue how to reproduce your
> problem, and you haven't provided any further information here, so
> let's cut to the chase:
>
> 1. Run get_iplayer with --verbose
> 2. Show us the full command line
> 3. Show us the full verbose output
>
> There is no guarantee that will reveal the source of the problem,
> but at least it's a start.  On the face of it, your problem suggests
> that you have a proxy arrangement that isn't working, but there is
> no way for us to even guess unless you provide the above
> information.

Thank you! Excellent - problem is solved by your suggestion. I had been
using a proxy about a year ago and the option for that was still set, as
indicated in the output below. Removing it has made things work
correctly.

ithaca:~:$ get-iplayer --get 834 --verbose
get_iplayer v2.80, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: User prefs dir: /home/ac/.get_iplayer
INFO: System options dir: /etc/get_iplayer/options
INFO: Using Proxy http://localhost:6000
Current options:
        packagemanager = apt
        partialproxy = 1
        proxy = http://localhost:6000
        verbose = 1

INFO: Search args: '834'
INFO: Additionally getting cached programme data for tv
INFO: Got 891 file cache entries for tv
Matches:
834:    Waterloo Road: Series 7 - Episode 14, BBC One, Audio Described,Drama,TV, default,audiodescribed

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Loaded history for first check.
INFO: Loading recordings history
INFO: Programme not in history
INFO: Disabled proxy: http://localhost:6000
INFO: Getting page http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b015n02m
INFO: Restored proxy to http://localhost:6000
INFO: Disabled proxy: http://localhost:6000
INFO: Getting page http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015n02m.rdf
INFO: Restored proxy to http://localhost:6000
INFO: iPlayer metadata URL = http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/b015n02m
INFO: Disabled proxy: http://localhost:6000
INFO: Getting page http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/b015n02m
INFO: Restored proxy to http://localhost:6000
INFO: Using Not Live standard TV and Radio: b015mzr1
INFO: Version: default, VersionPid: b015mzr1, Duration: 3600
INFO: Getting page http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/4/mtis/stream/b015mzr1?cb=36978
INFO: Disabled proxy: http://localhost:6000
INFO: Getting page http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015mzr1.rdf
INFO: Restored proxy to http://localhost:6000
INFO: Programme not in history
INFO: Will search for versions: default
INFO: Mode list: flashhigh,flashstd,flashnormal
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: Version = default
INFO: No specified modes (flashhigh,flashstd,flashnormal) available for this programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=)
ERROR: Failed to record 'Waterloo Road: Series 7 - Episode 14 (b015n02m)'
ithaca:~:$  man get-iplayer

Anthony Campbell - ac at acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks
at http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/acampbell