get_iplayer Digest, Vol 18, Issue 25

Jonathan Wiltshire jmw at debian.org
Mon Oct 17 13:00:20 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 04:06:56PM +0100, Neill Mitchell wrote:
> Okay, I built ffmpeg version 0.8.3 as suggested :) The only gotcha
> is for some bizarre reason the ubuntu forum instructions on how to
> compile it bizarrely install everything to /usr/local/bin, so it is
> not found. I simply added -prefix=/usr to the configure options and
> then it all works.

That's because on Debian variants, /usr is (strictly speaking, at least)
reserved for packages and /usr/local is the correct place to put
machine-local files, hence the name.

Installing to /usr is fine locally as long as you accept having to deal
with files sprinkled around that aren't under control of the package
manager, and the package manager having issues when checksums don't tally
up in the future.

> Thanks to everyone for their help :) I don't understand why Ubuntu
> consistently ships such old versions of ffmpeg.

What's the version in Debian? If that's old too, maybe this is a good time
to get involved in its maintenance!

Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw at debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51