Windows installer: updated AtomicParsley build

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 14:45:22 EDT 2011

On 12/10/2011 02:35, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> I very much doubt it that the updated binary (dated 20110925) offered by
> "The RTMPDump people" introduces any major performance enhancements
> as far as get_iplayer is concerned (as is the case with the implemented
> AtomicParsley

As with AtomicParsley, if anyone can demonstrate that this RTMPDump
build solves a problem for get_iplayer, I will happily push an update to
the installer.

I considered pushing that latest RTMPDump build, but even though it
worked fine with get_iplayer, I couldn't come up with any justification
to update so soon after the last release.  I think the impetus for the
new build appearing on the RTMPDump site was the fact that the RTMPDump
code now requires a specific, newer version of one its SSL libraries,
but that is immaterial for get_iplayer.

> update...), still I (personally) feel it'd be desirable if the (new,
> capable of) windows installer
> could point to an updated official binary, if such exists...

It seems self-evidently a good idea to minimise the number of Windows
installer configurations we have to keep track of.  Windows get_iplayer
is a self-contained system, so there isn't a compelling reason to push
every update to dependencies so long as the existing versions work *with
get_iplayer*.  Still, I think it is worth refreshing the installer
configuration (and possibly the installer) every 6 months if neither
crucial patches nor major releases have appeared in the interim.

Of course, if you want the latest and greatest version of RTMPDump or
FFmpeg for your own purposes, by all means install it alongside
get_iplayer and use the user options file or command line to incorporate
it into your downloading.  I would expect that casual users aren't
bothered so long as get_iplayer keeps working.

> RTMPDump was "version bumped" (2.3->2.4) on 12 Jul 2011, still on their downloads
> folder ( http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/download/ ) exists no sign of a "rtmpdump-2.4-windows.zip"
> file with a permanent link (that would make things easier for you...).

It isn't clear when or if a final version 2.4 of RTMPDump will be
declared.  The developers apparently still have things to work on. Until
it is, there won't be an "official" Windows binary as such, or even an
official source snapshot.  The Windows build on the their site is only
there because someone outside the RTMPDump developers is motivated
enough to supply it.  The only reason I even considered pushing an
update to RTMPDump is because if you go looking for a Windows build of
RTMPDump 2.4-ish yourself, that is the one you'll find.  The version
used by the installer is still on their server, but is isn't linked from
anywhere.  But that didn't seem reason enough to update.  Fortunately,
RTMPDump is easy to build in Windows, so if we ever required a custom
build that wasn't available from elsewhere, we shouldn't be left high
and dry.