HD playback issue on PS3

spam.mc spam.mc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 12:47:03 EST 2011

 >This question is Off Topic for this list.

Trying to keep on topic,  I've just been checking my files that work and
don't work which I've downloaded with get_iplayer.

It looks like files downloaded by get_iplayer prior to 10-Oct-2010
worked okay.   A file downloaded on the 18-Oct-2010 exhibits the double
speed video no audio problem when played on my PS3.   So something
changed during that time.   I've just compared the two files using Gspot
and I can see that the files have identical video settings,  but the
working file has audio set to MPEG-4 AAC 48000Hz stereo.  But the "bad"
files have MPEG-4 AAC 24000Hz stereo audio.   So it looks like the BBC
cut the audio quality in half during this time?  I'm fairly sure I
didn't touch the settings or upgrade anything when this problem
occurred.  The PS3 seems to be getting confused with this audio format
and ends up playing the video at double the speed!

Using ffmpeg as follows to convert the audio to another format has fixed
the PS3 playback problem...
.\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i bad.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec mp2 new.mp4

(The converted audio quality isn't great though, I'll play with the
settings further to see if I can improve it)

I hope that will be of help to someone.   I won't post on this topic
again. :-)