HD playback issue on PS3

Shevek shevek at shevek.co.uk
Sat Jan 15 12:19:16 EST 2011

On 15 January 2011 16:40, spam.mc <spam.mc at gmail.com> wrote:

> If anyone has any suggestions for things that I could try out to determine
> what the problem is, I'd like to hear them.

This question is Off Topic for this list.

get_iplayer downloads whatever video is available on iPlayer and then
passes that to ffmpeg to remux from an FLV container[1] to an MP4
container.

*The video stream itself is not changed in any way.*

If the file plays on your PC but not your PS3 it is because there is
something about the video stream which the PS3 cannot play but your PC
can.

This has nothing to do with get_iplayer - as I said, it simply
downloads the file and uses ffmpeg to change its container.

Your problem is in fact that the video on the BBC iPlayer is not PS3 compatible.

If you want a 100% PS3 compatible video you will need to transcode[2]
it - something which will take a lot more time than the remux that
ffmpeg does for get_iplayer

Places to start for help with this are http://www.videohelp.com or
http://forum.doom9.org/

HTH