Using bootspec with RAUC and redundant partitions

Enrico Jörns ejo at pengutronix.de
Wed Sep 30 07:48:52 EDT 2020

Hi Robin,

Am Mittwoch, den 30.09.2020, 13:26 +0200 schrieb robin:
> Enrico,
>
> > On 2020-09-30 10:09, Enrico Jörns wrote:
> > > Hi Robin,
> ..
> > > Why this would work anyway is because barebox extends the kernel
> > > commandline with the root= entries required to boot the kernel from
> > > that specific partition where it did read the entry from.
>
> Re-reading this, do you mean that the blspec files on the rootfs
> partitions
> should contain a root=/dev/mmcblk* of the partition they are on? And
> thus
> still contain dynamic (install time computed) configuration?

no, what I meant was the opposite: To exclude this information from the
blspec file.

> I placed my kernel and bootspec entry in the rootfs partition under
> /boot.
> The rootfs partition is mmcblk2p5 (barebox: mmc2.4).
>
> The 'boot' command doesn't work with target 'mmc2.4' (probably since I
> placed
> the data in a '/boot' subdirectory.

The bootspec entries are expected to be in /loader/entries of your
rootfs.

> If I use 'boot /mnt/mmc2.4/boot' barebox finds the spec, kernel and dtb
> but
> my root= is not set in the kernel commandline.

A little detail I forgot to mention is that barebox requires you to
have a line 'linux-appendroot true' in the blspec file.

More info can be found here:

https://www.barebox.org/doc/latest/user/booting-linux.html#bootloader-spec

Best regards, Enrico

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico Jörns                |
Embedded Linux Consulting & Support        | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |