Problem loading environment from spi-nor flash partition since barebox 2017.01.0

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 05:02:30 PST 2017

On 11/01/17 08:32, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 04:01:40PM +0000, Ian Abbott wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I thought I'd try updating my custom SoCFPGA-based board from barebox
>> 2016.11.0 to 2017.01.0, and have only run into one problem, which is that it
>> is no longer loading the barebox environment during boot:
>>
>> &qspi {
>> 	status = "okay";
>>
>> 	flash: flash at 0 {
>> 		#address-cells = <1>;
>> 		#size-cells = <1>;
>> 		compatible = "n25q00";
>> 		reg = <0>;
>> 		spi-max-frequency = <100000000>;
>> 		m25p,fast-read;
>> 		cdns,page-size = <256>;
>> 		cdns,block-size = <16>;
>> 		cdns,read-delay = <4>;
>> 		cdns,tshsl-ns = <50>;
>> 		cdns,tsd2d-ns = <50>;
>> 		cdns,tchsh-ns = <4>;
>> 		cdns,tslch-ns = <4>;
>
> The problem is that your environment path points to the flash node which
> does not have a driver as the corresponding device is not registered
> properly.
>
> With (real) SPI this is a little different and works as expected: If the
> qspi node would be handled by the SPI layer then the SPI core would
> register the child nodes as devices on a SPI bus. The normal probe
> mechanism would then bind the device and the driver together.
>
> With the cadence-quadspi driver a device is registered in
> cqspi_setup_flash(), but there is never a driver attached to it, thus
> the dev->driver test fails.
>
> The proper way if probably to register the n25q00 device on a qspi bus
> and to provide a qspi-nor-flash driver which gets probed then.
> The not-so-proper, faster way could be to just create a dummy driver
> struct and attach it to the device allocated in cqspi_setup_flash().

The 'compatible' string in the flash device node is not used by the
current cadence-quadspi driver.  "n25q00" is not the most appropriate
value for the 'compatible' string in this device node (I merely copied
it from other socfpga-based boards!).  The most appropriate value would
be "jedec,spi-nor", as registered by the m25p80 driver, but "n25q00"
could also be registered by the new device driver for backwards
compatibility.  I guess it's okay for more than one driver to register
the same compatible id as long as the drivers are registered to
different bus types.

I just had another thought about the '!dev->driver' test in
__of_find_path().  Would modifying the test to also check 'dev->bus' as
follows solve the problem?:

	if (dev->bus && !dev->driver)
		return -ENODEV;

(Or possibly 'return -EPROBE_DEFER' would be better, as suggested by
Trent Piepho's reply, but that would be a separate patch.)

The devices created by the cadence-quadspi driver do not set 'dev->bus',
but devices created by proper bus drivers should do so.  I just tried
it, and it seems to work around my problem.

Best regards,
Ian.

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk> )=-