Image loading via USB broken?

Holger Schurig holgerschurig at gmail.com
Tue May 6 04:20:18 PDT 2014

Hi list,

on my Sabre Lite board I cannot execute an image that I sent to it via
the USB downloader.

$ cd barebox-next
$ git describe
v2014.04.0-263-g8ffbc0d
$ export CROSS_COMPILE=~/d/mkarm/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.7-2013.03-20130313_linux/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-
$ export ARCH=arm
$ make freescale-mx6-sabrelite_defconfig
#
# configuration written to .config
#
$ make xconfig
(here I add ARCH_IMX_USBLOADER)
$ make
$ scripts/imx/imx-image -c
arch/arm/boards/boundarydevices-nitrogen6x/flash-header-nitrogen6x-1g.imxcfg
-f barebox.bin -o barebox.imx
$ sudo scripts/imx/imx-usb-loader -v -c barebox.imx
found i.MX6q USB device [15a2:0054]
main dcd length 310
sub dcd length 30c
binary file successfully loaded
verifying file...
file successfully verified
jumping to 0x20000400

However, I don't get any output on the serial port.

Now, I do the same with u-boot, I get a serial prompt from u-boot on
the Sabre Lite. The same happens on my own hardware: works with
u-boot, but not with barebox. I'd rather use barebox than u-boot, but
I'm puzzled as of now.

One difference, however, is that I use "imx_usb" from
https://github.com/boundarydevices/imx_usb_loader to download to
download the u-boot.imx image. Not sure if that is relevant, or
actually, I think it is not relevant, because imx-usb-loader
downloaded and verified the barebox image successfully.