imx23evk NAND support

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sun Jan 13 00:19:51 EST 2013

On 1/12/2013 7:24 PM, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> My understanding is that the SD card and the NAND chip cannot be used at
> the same time due to a pin conflict.

Hmm, it seems what I read on this wasn't entirely correct. I ended up
booting the BSP linux kernel and root file system off of SD, and it was
able to access the NAND device while simultaneously using the SD device
(as the root filesystem source) so there doesn't seem to be any inherent
hardware limitation preventing bareboot from accessing it.

Just for fun, I tried to use the kobs-ng freescale tool from within the
linux environment to burn the bareboot bootstream to NAND. However,
after trying to boot, I receive the error code 0x80501003 from the ROM
loader, which evidently indicates "The file signature or file version is
incorrect". The exact same bootstream on an SD card boots fine, so I
don't think there's anything wrong with it. I also tried to burn the BSP
linux kernel bootstream, with the same result. (Side question, what's
the difference in the bootstream files that contain "ivt" in the
filename? I used the non-ivt versions on SD, I tried both on NAND with
neither working).

The board came from the factory with a working kernel on NAND, so I know
it can work. Given I'm using the freescale supplied linux environment
and their nand bootstream burning tool you'd think it would be fairly
straightforward…