imx23evk NAND support

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sat Jan 12 22:24:24 EST 2013

I'm working with a freescale i.MX23EVK board prototyping a project that
is going to need to boot from NAND. I'm trying to get barebox  installed
on the NAND chip on this board, with the next step being getting a linux
kernel and filesystem on NAND as well.

I've compiled barebox from git as of today, and successfully booted it
from SD and USB, but have been unable to get the NAND device recognized.

Booting from SD with the mci driver enabled:

devices:
`---- platform
      `---- stm_serial0
           `---- cs0
      `---- mem0
           `---- 0x00000000-0x01ffffff: /dev/ram0
      `---- mem1
           `---- 0x00000000-0xfffffffe: /dev/mem
      `---- mxs_mci0
           `---- mci0
`---- fs
      `---- ramfs0
      `---- devfs0
`---- global

drivers:
stm_serial
ramfs
devfs
mxs_nand
mci
mxs_mci
mem

Booting from SD without the mci driver:

devices:
`---- platform
      `---- stm_serial0
           `---- cs0
      `---- mem0
           `---- 0x00000000-0x01ffffff: /dev/ram0
      `---- mem1
           `---- 0x00000000-0xfffffffe: /dev/mem
      `---- mxs_mci0
`---- fs
      `---- ramfs0
      `---- devfs0
`---- global

drivers:
stm_serial
ramfs
devfs
mxs_nand
mem

In both cases, it seems to find the mci device, but not the nand device.
(On a side note, running mci0.probe=1 with the mci driver enabled
appears to completely lock up the board).

My understanding is that the SD card and the NAND chip cannot be used at
the same time due to a pin conflict. Considering the possibility that
perhaps the NAND cannot be accessed if booting from SD, I tried booting
via USB, with the same result:

devices:
`---- platform
      `---- stm_serial0
           `---- cs0
      `---- mem0
           `---- 0x00000000-0x01ffffff: /dev/ram0
      `---- mem1
           `---- 0x00000000-0xfffffffe: /dev/mem
      `---- mxs_mci0
`---- fs
      `---- ramfs0
      `---- devfs0
`---- global

drivers:
stm_serial
ramfs
devfs
mxs_nand
mem

The SD card device is found, but not the nand device.

Am I missing something? Given its inclusion in barebox, I'm assuming
*somebody* has gotten the i.mx23 NAND driver working :). Any assistance
much appreciated, thanks.

I wonder why they didn't hook the SD interface up to SSP1 rather than
SSP2 to avoid the NAND conflict. It looks like you can't use the SD
device and the ethernet device simultaneously either :(.