Ramfs and NULL pointer

Robert Jarzmik robert.jarzmik at free.fr
Tue Nov 20 15:43:14 EST 2012

Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 04, 2012 at 07:48:07PM +0100, Robert Jarzmik wrote:
>> Robert Jarzmik <robert.jarzmik at free.fr> writes:
>>
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > Lately, I see null pointer dereferences in barebox.
>> > I traced the culprit to ramfs ...
>>
>> Ah and if I take back v2012.09.0, the problem disappears.
>> I'm not fully in the mood for a bisection of 544 commits ... any idea ?
>
> sha at dude:~/dude/barebox/barebox git lg v2012.09.0..origin/master fs/ramfs.c
> 77322aa Treewide: remove address of the Free Software Foundation
> ad6c28a ramfs: add symlink and readlink support
>
> Both look harmless, so I don't think that the culprit is ramfs itself.
>
> Sorry, no idea. The good news is that due to my compile tests all 544
> commits at least should compile ;)
>
> Do you have some specific command sequence to provoke this?
One part of the problem is a memory corruption from recent commits on
splash/bmp.

Please have a look at the attached patch. I joined Jean-Christophe, as he is the
original author AFAICS, and he might think of another regression along this
patchset which could lighten my debugging sessions.

My board still doesn't boot correctly, so there's probably another regression.

Cheers.

--
Robert