barebox on gta04

Johannes Schauer j.schauer at email.de
Tue Oct 25 02:38:50 EDT 2011

Hi Sascha,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:34:13PM +0200, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> You could start barebox from U-Boot (just load the barebox binary
> image to RAM and jump to it using the U-Boot 'go' command). Then you
> could comment out the lowlevel code from barebox (arch_init_lowlevel,
> pin_mux) and see if the problem persists. Maybe there is something
> different in the lowlevel code.

This is a great idea! So first I loaded the unmodified barebox binary
using:

mmc rescan 0
fatload mmc 0 0x82000000 barebox.bin
go 0x82000000

It started executing and the error was the same as before.

Then I tried doing what you suggested above and commented
arch_init_lowlevel in ./arch/arm/mach-omap/omap3_core.S and I was not
sure what you meant by `pin_mux` as the string appeared nowhere in the
code but I thought you might mean the mux_config in
./arch/arm/boards/omap/board-beagle.c ? But after doing that, barebox
would just not start anymore when loaded by uboot.

So can you give me some more specific advices on what to comment?

> Another thing: Where does this string come from? We have this twice in
> the driver and one of them should really be "timeout waiting for reset
> done"

If I read the code correctly, then my error comes from line
224 of ./drivers/mci/omap_hsmmc.c :

dev_dbg(hsmmc->dev, "timedout waiting for cc2!\n");

I activated this debug message by using "#define DEBUG" on top of the
file. Initially I only got the message "Cannot reset the SD/MMC
interface" from line 1185 in ./drivers/mci/mci-core.c after it tried to
call the init code from omap_hsmmc.c.

But where would you find "timeout waiting for reset done"? I tried to
recursively grep my barebox sources without finding this string?

thanks!

cheers, josch