More Mini2440 questions...

Juergen Beisert jbe at pengutronix.de
Mon Apr 4 07:13:31 EDT 2011

Hi Zoltán,

Zoltán Kócsi wrote:
> Thanks for all the answers for my previous questions!
>
> The 'next' branch indeed boots from the NAND FLASH like a charm.

\o/

Just for my list of tested min2440 variants: What type of SDRAMs and NAND is
your system using?

> What I'm looking for now is a crash-course, or at least a pointer to
> some web-based one, on barebox itself, from the usage point of view. I
> created the docs and read the User's Manual, but I'm none the wiser.

Authors of documentation are always welcome. But they are rare :-(

> How do I boot a kernel from FLASH or via TFTP? I figured that I
> can set the Ethernet MAC address by eth0.ethaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> (although I don't know if that actually changes the MAC) but how can I
> save that so that next time I reset the board it is there?

Take a look into the generic environment in "defaultenv/bin/". These scripts
are used when the system comes up. They are using the "/env/config" for
parameterization. Maybe these file will help you to understand how it works.

> Same with other environment variables, such as bootargs. The command
> 'saveenv' says that it saved the environment. According to its docs, it
> saved it in /dev/env0. According the the docs of loadenv, that
> command should load the saved environment, but I could not get any
> of my changes back.

So, the changes in your environment are lost after reboot? Do you see any kind
of error message (like CRC sum errors)? when barebox comes up after reset and
tries to load the saved environment?

jbe

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | Phone: +49-8766-939 228     |