[RFC 1/2] nl80211: add common API to configure SAR power limitations.

Brian Norris briannorris at chromium.org
Wed Nov 4 18:18:38 EST 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 02:36:09PM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > +#define NUM_MAX_NL80211_SAR_FREQ_RANGES 0xfe
>
> but I'm not sure what these are used for in the first place, they seem
> more like internal implementation details?

I think the MAX value does have some utility in the API -- as mentioned
in other comments, if we're requiring that user space must SET all
ranges at the same time, then we need an expected way for user space to
SET a "don't care" or "MAX" or "null" value for a band. So if there's
some new band (e.g., 6 GHz?) that user space was not previously aware
of, it will know to use this placeholder.

I think that's kind of approximately what the purpose of this was? It's
not super clear in the documentation, so maybe that should be clarified
in writing in v2.

Brian