mesh point and ap mode on same interface

Harms, Hannes hannes.harms at tu-bs.de
Mon Oct 9 01:47:14 PDT 2017

On 10/06/2017 20:18, Peter, Oh wrote
> I have tried t bring up the ap interface with iw / hostapd,
>>> after joining the mesh.
>>>
>>> When I start the second interface, rtnetlink responds with
>>> device or resource busy.
>>
> If you give more details of your steps, people may help you more.
> Btw, did you create a 2nd interface on the same radio and change the
> mac address?

Yes,  I changed the mac of the 2nd interface:

The mesh setup:

 > brctl addbr mesh-bridge
 > iw phy0 interface add wlan0 type mp mesh_id my_mesh
 > iw wlan0 set freq 5500 80 5530
 > ip link set dev wlan0 up
 > iw wlan0 mesh join my_mesh
 > brctl addif  mesh-bridge mesh0

The ap interface:

 > iw dev wlan0 interface add virtual_ap type __ap
 > ip link set dev virtual_ap address 04:f0:21:1b:7b:48
 > hostapd -B -dd hostapd.conf

the  hostapd config:

interface=virtual_ap
#ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
driver=nl80211
ssid=infra
hw_mode=a
channel=100
ht_capab=[HT40+]
ieee80211n=1
ieee80211ac=1
vht_oper_chwidth=1
vht_oper_centr_freq_seg0_idx=106
bridge=mesh-bridge

The 2nd interface is not running.  (device or resource busy)
What I do not understand is, that according to
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/ath10k/2016-September/008374.html
mesh + ap seems possible, even with some stock firmware versions.