QCA4019: calibration files and board files

Sven Eckelmann sven.eckelmann at openmesh.com
Thu Mar 9 04:46:00 PST 2017

On Donnerstag, 9. März 2017 11:51:13 CET Valo, Kalle wrote:
[...]
> I haven't followed the discussion very closely, so I might be way off,
> but for laptop SMBIOS implementations Waldemar added a variant field to
> board-2.bin so that we can have multiple images for the same subsystem
> id. Could it help here also?
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/kvalo/ath.git/commit/
> ?h=ath-next&id=1657b8f84ed9fc1d2a100671f1d42d6286f20073

Thanks for the pointer.

I also saw this morning but haven't invested a lot of time when I saw it. But
let's play around with some ideas around "variant". Maybe someone else has
some better ideas or comments.

The information about the variant has to come from somewhere. Currently, the
OTP binary is returning only the bmi-chip-id and bmi-board-id. There doesn't
seem to be any "project"/"customer" id returned by it (even when it exists in
the EEPROM). And even when there would be, the already existing devices don't
seem to have it and i don't know if QCA actually allocates them for customers.
I would therefore postpone the use of pre-cal data to generate the the variant
string for now (but I will ask the ODM to get some info from QCA).

Let us see how the SMBIOS does it. dmi_walk is used to go through the entries
and search for the entry. We don't have this here. So let's check what we have
with the QCA4019

This looks at least like a doable thing with the device tree. It must be a
string but this can easily be stored in the device tree itself.

The RT-AC58U  could therefore have following entries:

    		wifi at a000000 {
    			status = "okay";
    			qcom,ath10k-calibration-variant = "RT-AC58U";
    		};

    		wifi at a800000 {
    			status = "okay";
    			qcom,ath10k-calibration-variant = "RT-AC58U";
    		};

Some code has to be added to ath10k_core_probe_fw. I can prepare this later
(when I find the time).

The board-2.bin would then require entries for bus=ahb,bmi-chip-id=0,bmi-
board-id=16,variant=RT-AC58U and bus=ahb,bmi-chip-id=0,bmi-board-
id=17,variant=RT-AC58U.

Kind regards,
	Sven