QCA4019: calibration files and board files

Valo, Kalle kvalo at qca.qualcomm.com
Thu Mar 9 03:51:13 PST 2017

Sven Eckelmann <sven.eckelmann at openmesh.com> writes:

> On Dienstag, 7. März 2017 08:30:54 CET Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> "use your own bmi ids". :-)
>>
>> (yeah, this is going to make open source firmware for these things
>> more painful than it should be. :( )
>
> Thanks for the reply. I was just informed that the firmware binary will behave
> differently depending on the bmi-board-id (even when the rest of the content
> is the same).
>
> The selection of an own bmi id is therefore also not an actual option. Ok,
> maybe in some cases but not in general.
>
> The method to have a single board-2.bin for QCA4019 and to let ath10k select
> the right one using bmi-board-id, bmi-chip-id and bus is simply not working.
>
> Either the board-2.bin is simply not used and only the pre-cal data is used
> (as seen in Christian Lamparter's/Michal Kazior's patch [1]) or each board has
> to come with its own board-2.bin.

I haven't followed the discussion very closely, so I might be way off,
but for laptop SMBIOS implementations Waldemar added a variant field to
board-2.bin so that we can have multiple images for the same subsystem
id. Could it help here also?

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/kvalo/ath.git/commit/?h=ath-next&id=1657b8f84ed9fc1d2a100671f1d42d6286f20073