QCA99XX with MU-MIMO and beamforming?

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Mon Apr 25 23:16:06 PDT 2016

On 25 April 2016 at 22:31, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tried this?  Looks like hostapd has the ability to set the
> feature flags, but I am not sure if it is really working in ath10k?

Yes, it works. You need a few vht_capabs. I have mine like this:

 > vht_capab=[RXLDPC][SHORT-GI-80][TX-STBC-2BY1][SU-BEAMFORMER][SU-BEAMFORMEE][MU-BEAMFORMER][RX-ANTENNA-PATTERN][TX-ANTENNA-PATTERN][BF-ANTENNA-4][MAX-MPDU-11454][RX-STBC-1][MAX-A-MPDU-LEN-EXP7]

The SU-, MU- and BF- are the required part only I think.

> Do you actually need anything other than standard whip antenna to
> allow this to function properly?

I don't think. FWIW Make sure the antennas are reasonably set
up/separated from each other. If you cram them too tight/randomly
beamforming won't work efficiently. I had problem with client antennas
being too close to each other and lying flat on a table (I than made a
foam-stand and put them a few cm apart) so the same thing must apply
to AP as well.

> What about station mode?

Works as well. Both on QCA99XX and QCA9377.