Issues with latest kernel versions and Monitor mode

Amato Carbonara acarbonara13 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 09:19:28 PDT 2016

Hello,
  I recently updated the Linux kernel to latest stable release (4.5.1
and 4.5.2) and long term support releases (4.4.7 and 4.4.8).  With the
aforementioned kernel releases, the QCA988x chip was unable to be
placed in monitor mode.

More information:

OS = Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
WiFi chip = QCA988x
Firmware = ath10k
Version = 10.2.4.70.37-2

Commands used to enter WiFi adapter into monitor mode:
ifconfig wlan1 down
iw dev wlan1 set type monitor
ifconfig wlan1 up

After entering the last command (ifconfig wlan1 up), the following
error is displayed:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot send after transport endpoint shutdown

No error is displayed when using kernel version 4.3.3
I noticed the problem when I upgraded to 4.4.7 and 4.5.1

Regards,
Amato