Sending lldp packets with ath10k in ADHOC mode

Jorge Baranda jbaranda at cttc.es
Wed Sep 23 08:12:58 PDT 2015

Dear all,

I have a setup which consists of three computers connected by means of
WLE900VX cards using the ath10k driver.
One computer (which we can call master) is equipped with two of these
cards and I set different modes to connect the "master" with the other
computers.
In particular, a pair of computers (master-computer A) is connected in
ad-hoc mode and the other pair (master-computer B) is connected in
AP-STA mode.

I want to send LLDP packets through both interfaces of master computer
to perform link discovery. But I have realised that sending LLDP
messages is only possible through the
interface configured as AP. Nevertheless, I've seen that the ad-hoc
interface is able to send ARP broadcast messages.
Due to this fact, when generating the LLDP packets I set as destination
MAC address the broadcast one, but even so, the ad-hoc interface is not
sending the LLDP messages.
Does anyone have an idea of the reason of this behavior? Which is
treating differently the ARP and the LLDP packet?
I was expecting the ad-hoc interface to forward any kind of packet with
mac destination address the broadcast address.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and attention,

With kind regards,

--
Jorge Baranda
Research Engineer, MSc
jorge.baranda at cttc.es

Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya (CTTC)
Av. Carl Friedrich Gauss, 7
08860 Castelldefels, Barcelona (Spain)
Tel: +34 93 645 29 00  Ext: 2171
Fax. +34 93 645 29 01