Specific MAC address impact performance

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Oct 26 10:47:19 PDT 2015

On 10/26/2015 10:38 AM, Yu-Chieh wrote:
> Hi Ben,
> I also geuss that mignt be BSSID mask issue, however i have no idea
> about the patten
> I can find bssid_mask function in ath5k and ath9k but not in ath10k.
> Do your suggest me to use XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:XX, XX should be same and YY
> could be different?

Please try something that works properly with the way ath9k does it's
mask and see if that fixes your problem in ath10k.

Basically, if your NIC has an address:  00 11 22 33 44 55, then change the 33 and/or 44
octets when creating secondary vifs.  This assumes you buy your NICs in batches and the
low octet is likely unique.

As long as you have a unique octet among all of your radios in the local RF
environment, then you should be fine.

Somewhere there was once a security related document on how to screw up
wifi networks by setting a mask to purposefully cause troubles....you might
try to find that and see if it provides some more precise details on
the masking algorithm.