Sending frames on monitor interface?

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri Feb 20 09:27:49 PST 2015

On 02/19/2015 10:43 PM, Michal Kazior wrote:
> On 19 February 2015 at 22:38, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
>> Do any of the firmware versions support sending (raw) frames on
>> the monitor interface?
>>
>> It seems 10.1 just asserts if someone tries this.  I can fix at least
>> some of this, but firmware seems to want a peer in order to transmit
>> any packets...maybe adding self-peer to the monitor interface is
>> a way to get around this?
>
> Just an idea: Once upon a time we had to create temporary DA peer for
> offchannel tx (the code is still in ath10k). 10.1 might want something
> like that as well for data frames.

I hacked my CT firwmare to allow transmit on monitor interfaces, including
logic to allow setting up a (fake) peer and rate-ctrl structures.

I tweaked ath10k to create a peer when starting the monitor interface,
using the local radio's MAC as the peer address (this could easily be part
of the problem).  I hacked the firmware to always use this peer object when
transmitting on a monitor interface.

Packets now appear to be accepted for transmit, but I do not see anything on
the air.  I'll dig into it more if I find time...but not sure exactly how useful
the feature is anyway.

I see the code for off-channel work that you are talking about.  That seems like
a pretty awful hack if you wanted to do any realistic throughput, but I bet that
whatever issue this works around is the same issue that I am having trying to
get monitor TX to work.