[RFT] ath10k: restart fw on tx-credit timeout

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Mon Feb 9 22:09:36 PST 2015

On 9 February 2015 at 17:03, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> On 02/08/2015 10:24 PM, Michal Kazior wrote:
>> On 6 February 2015 at 17:15, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
[...]
>>> At least in my tests, I could continue
>>> to receive network traffic while WMI was blocked.
>>

>> Yeah. Traffic works with the tx-credit starvation as well but what
>> good is this if you have inconsistent driver-firmware state after
>> failing to send a few commands?
>

> I just mention it because someone debugging the system might
> wonder why the firmware is 'locked up' while it is still passing traffic.

I might as well include this info in the commit log.

> If it is just powersave issue, could you force (overriding wmi tx-credits
> limit)
> a flush at the 1 second mark and hope it recovers by 3 second timeout?

Well, there's a couple of problems with that.

1) you suggest to call wmi_flush() which calls wmi_cmd_send() *while*
in wmi_cmd_send(),
2) you're out of credits, how do you intend to submit a frame,
3) yes, you can force it, but that's super ugly,
4) and this still doesn't guarantee you'll get your tx-credit due to
firmware quirkiness.

(but maybe the latest 10.2.4 behaves differently? who knows..)

My original stab at this involved a proactive flushing but it had it's
problems (delayed mgmt frames, could still get stuck in rare cases).