[RFC] ath10k: use raw tx

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Sep 11 07:17:39 PDT 2014

On 09/11/2014 03:47 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Michal Kazior <michal.kazior at tieto.com> writes:

>>> Did you try this with encryption?  I can reproduce the crash
>>> in open mode on my CT firmware, but I couldn't even get
>>> DHCP to complete with wpa2 enabled.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Late reply, sorry.
>>
>> I've just did a quick test on 10.2 (both AP and STA) with WPA2.
>> Apparently the raw tx mode requires IV to be set up on host and packet
>> length (reported in HTT Tx command header) must be re-adjusted
>> differently, otherwise frames are broken (incorrect FCS, too long,
>> somewhat encrypted except LLC/SNAP). The best I could get were
>> FCS-correct undecryptable frames on air. Perhaps someone will figure
>> that out..
>>
>> Another way around this would be to perform software crypto for tx
>> entirely on host.
>
> BTW, it would be nice to get software crypto support to ath10k, for
> example with a nohwcrypt module parameter like ath9k has.

You have to hack the firmware (and patch driver) to make this work.  I have patches to make
rx-sw-crypt work with my CT firmware.  Been releasing this only for non-commercial
use, but I'd be willing to make it supported without restriction and instead
limit number of stations to < 16 when sw-crypt was enabled.  This leaves my
commercial offering worth paying for for the few people that might compete against
our testing products.

I had all sorts of trouble, similar to what you describe trying to get raw tx
to work, and eventually gave up entirely.  My method of rx-sw-crypt uses normal tx
(with hardware offload), but decrypts on the host.