Unable to upgrade firmware for QCA988x module, ath10k!

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Thu Oct 2 03:39:36 PDT 2014

On 2 October 2014 11:46, Ramprasad Vempati <ramprasad.vempati at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got compex wlan module: WLE600VX , which is 2x2 802.11ac QCA9882
> module. I'm using kernel: 3.11, which has by default ath10k. As I
> plugged in my card, I saw interface came up. But the problem is it
> doesn't connect in 11ac mode.

That's probably a different issue. Upgrading firmware won't solve the problem.

I'm guessing this is regulatory (wireless-regdb) problem. You can
verify that if you run `iw reg get` command. I get:

 country US: DFS-FCC
         (2402 - 2472 @ 40), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
         (5170 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 17), (N/A)
         (5250 - 5330 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (0 ms), DFS
         (5735 - 5835 @ 80), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
         (57240 - 63720 @ 2160), (N/A, 40), (N/A)

Note the @ 80 at 5GHz band which means it's possible to operate on
80MHz channel bandwidth. If you get @ 40 it means you have an old
wireless regulatory database. You can get the latest one here:
http://drvbp1.linux-foundation.org/~mcgrof/rel-html/wireless-regdb/ .
Make sure you have crda binary installed and up to date as well (
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Regulatory/CRDA ).

> http://www.compexshop.com/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=460
>
> I've placed the firmware that's downloaded from  :
> https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware. I've pasted the firmware
> file as "firmware-2.bin" in /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0. Now
> there are two files firmware.bin (default one) and "firmware-2.bin"
> downloaded from github. Now even after reboot of laptop the firmware
> version doesn't change. It still shows 1.0.0.636.
>
> Can someone let me know what am I missing?

Support for firmware-2.bin was added in kernel 3.13.